Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Hours of Our Lives

As a college student, I struggle with the balance between work, school, and rodeo. I need to make money because I want to be financially independent from my parents. However, at this point in my life, I don't think having a job is the most important thing. A little extra spending money is awesome but not necessary. "We don't buy things with money, we buy them with hours from our lives."
This thought scares me. I don't want to spend all my hours at a job doing something I do not enjoy with the only purpose of making money. I think Americans rush too much. Our perception of time is very strict. Being early is ideal. So is being busy. We desire success from our jobs but that success is defined through money. As a result, money defines our lives. We believe we achieve happiness through a raise or purchasing a brand name product. Our social statuses are associated with money as well. When we spend all our time working, it's important that our job fulfills our hours with what we enjoy. Money is necessary for me to board and feed my horses, and also travel to rodeos. But most importantly, doing what I love to make money.

No comments :

Post a Comment